Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The "Border Wars"

Time to get back into "blog" mode, I think.  Where have the last few weeks gone---oh, I remember, I was mesmerized by snow for several weeks.  That prompted a continuous round of cooking, and then BK took over my life for a few days doing grant proposals.  But I've kept on working on my quilt projects, and have made a lot of progress.

My green and red dresden has evolved from unfinished blocks to an entire quilt set on point, with an alternating block of diamonds and focus fabric, and setting squares of diamonds and background fabric.  One border is one, and I finally broke down and ordered 3 yards of a beautiful tone on tone green to finish the bordering. (I had vowed I was going to only use fabric I had here, but artistic necessity overtook frugality on this one.)

I have made an interesting discovery in this process over the last few days--many of my quilts are languishing in a state of "disinterest" because I had no idea what I was going to do for either borders or sashing.  I really like to piece quilts.  I tend to find fabric I like, buy it, then find or think of a design, and then start creating the block.  Some people find a design, and then get the fabric to go with it, but I think I almost always am caught by the fabric.  However, since I start with fabric, and not a design, I often have no idea if I have enough of anything to finish what I start.  Or, I have to take it in stages.  Sometimes, just finding the right fabric can be a real battle.  However, today was "border wars" day.  I spent a lot of time with my friends over the last week or so discussing options; then decided it was now or never. I've shown some of my results below.  You can look over my following post and see how far I've come.

However, now I have to go make chili...........

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great quilts Kathy! You are very industrious and productive! I can't wait until I start actually doing paintings again. Got a sketchbook!!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete